Originally Posted by blackcat
She was grade accelerated in K before anyone knew she has ADHD and other issues, so she went into this program at age 8 in 4th grade and was handed an 8th grade math textbook (based on test scores), which she was pretty much expected to do by herself, in class. If we had kept her there, I would be working my butt off to teach her right now, because she would be going into h.s. Algebra I (again, basically teaching herself in a "flipped math" model). The teacher would have the kids write 8 page research papers on various countries or states....paper after paper, and if she found out a kid got assistance she freaked out and threatened the kid with an F. DD loved the science curriculum which was very hands on (robotics, etc), but in the end that's all the program really had going for it in terms of meeting her needs. I think that as long as you can get the teachers to follow some sort of plan (IEP, 504), you are on the right track. I failed dismally in this regard, since everyone pretty much refused to acknowledge a learning difference/disability and claimed she had to be failing before anything would be done. Kids in the program she was in, are by definition "advanced".
I kinda got the same bit about failing, but even so, that wouldn't be enough for IEP since it's a "choice program" and he's not entitled to be there.

Yes, I hope we can get a better system going re: 504, or ideally, an IEP. Not holding my breath on that one, though.

That program sounds like a nightmare for a young child. I miss our old, one day a week, non-graded GT immersion program. Depth not breadth, fit my DS much better.

It sounds like you've made a wise decision for your DD. It seems to me like the "dismal failure" was not yours...can't believe how different each situation/school/district seems to be. I wonder how much of it has to do with the geographical location/demographic of student population. Even with a degree in this stuff, I am woefully underprepared to deal with a 2E child in secondary education.