Originally Posted by suevv
Find out if it is WISC IV or V. If it's the WISC-IV, make sure they are ready to offer "extended norms" questions. They use these when a kid hits the maximum score on the typical norms. The extended norms allow a much better picture of level of giftedness for highly gifted kids. And - they CANNOT go back and add on extended norms after the fact (as I understand it). They have to just keep going through questions after a kid hits the normal ceiling.
Not exactly. They have to keep going until they get to the discontinuation criteria, even if the child cannot normally score any higher on the subtest by getting more question right. Then, if the child qualifies to use extended norms, they look up the raw scores on an extended norms table to get subtest scores that go above 19. But there are no extra questions or anything like that - it's just giving the test in the standard manner, without stopping it early because there's "no point" in going farther. Ask for the raw scores, as well as the indices, if you are interested in this, because you can calculate the extended norms without having them do it, if you want to.

Originally Posted by suevv
[My understanding is that there are no extended norms for WISC V, though I don't understand why not.]
Because no one has tested a large group of gifted students with the WISC-V to calculate gifted extended norms yet. Someone may eventually, or they may not.