I'm no professional, but I could add a couple points based on our experience:

Find out if it is WISC IV or V. If it's the WISC-IV, make sure they are ready to offer "extended norms" questions. They use these when a kid hits the maximum score on the typical norms. The extended norms allow a much better picture of level of giftedness for highly gifted kids. And - they CANNOT go back and add on extended norms after the fact (as I understand it). They have to just keep going through questions after a kid hits the normal ceiling.

[My understanding is that there are no extended norms for WISC V, though I don't understand why not.]

If your kid does hit extended norms on one or more subtests, the WISC IV could take a lot more than an hour. DS7 hit ceilings on 4 subtests, AND he is a serious perfectionist. So his WISC IV took in excess of 4 hours and we had to split it up over a couple days. His brain was TIRED after two hours even though he enjoyed it. So make sure they are willing to split the test up over a couple days if - preferably before - kiddo gets exhausted. Oh - and I'd send fun snacks, drinks and chewing gum, whether they say it's necessary or not. Better safe than sorry.

FWIW - if they look at you with blank stares when you say "extended norms" or "GAI," it's a good bet they aren't that experienced with highly gifted children. It doesn't sound like you have much choice in who you use, but it will be good to know if they are up to speed on this challenging, interesting sort of kid. And I do find that the idea of extended norms is a real tell for gifted experience.

As always, ignore this if aeh or other pros contradict it. I'm just a mom feeling my way in the dark!

And best of luck with the stress. Whatever the outcome, you'll get some useful info that will be helpful for working with your child!!

Last edited by suevv; 07/07/15 07:21 PM.