Ah well... the imagination part causes problems. I have tried 'misreading' words to her. Then she takes over and has so much fun making up new stuff that she ends up not reading anything at all.

No way to get any accomodation at school because she refuses to do her own work and cooperate with testing. Last year's teacher honestly thought that she might have developmental delays of some sort - didn't even catch on a little bit that so much was just acting out to get attention.
However, we can hire a private tutor to work with her during school hours. We are going to try to fit in one hour a week starting this summer.

Even the tutor had trouble pegging her down. Said no doubt that she is reading at least at a beginning third grade level, but couldn't peg her down to tell if it was higher than that.

DD could tell the dif between a hexagon and octagon at 12 months - and called them by name. It was really amazing.

Ruf's levels of gifted isn't much help on DD though. She does have a lot of the level 3, 4, and 5 characteristics - but not enough to conclude that yes, she is level 3 or higher. Example, I have no idea when she stopped believing in the tooth fairy because even now she alternates tooth by tooth on wanting her money before bed and wanting the tooth fairy to leave it under her pillow. Besides DH is one of those folks who don't believe in lying to kids. Our kids were never told that there was a Santa Claus. yet, both did their best to believe anyway. Very backwards.

DS was at least easy to peg (once we got over the denial). DD - we haven't the foggiest.

We had her IQ tested. The psych has an extensive background with PG kids. Even she couldn't get a feel for DD. Very clear to her that she was playing dumb - but hard to quantify just how dumb is dumb.....

Let's put it this way though - the kids love Harry Potter and I agreed to let them listen to the books on tape. DD got more from it than DS. She understands every character and motivation and remembers every subplot and event. Granted, she couldn't pick the book up and read it, but she got as much from listening as DS did from reading. Probably more.

That just don't sound like a 'normal' child - it sounds 'gifted'. I just can't prove it with a number that will get her any accomodation.

Very frustrating.

Mary

Mary