Just curious if anyone else has seen this....

DS is older, 7 yo. He is a YS.

DD just turned 6 yo. She will not cooperate with any attempt to measure her intelligence, knowledge level, reading level, etc.

She flat out lies about what she does and doesn't know. She will give up without any effort if she perceives something is difficult (although she will nail it cold if you claim it is easy). If you catch her off her guard, she will amaze you with her vocabulary and her understanding of things.

One day, I caught her off her guard and she told me that if I knew she could read, then I wouldn't read to her anymore. She was 4 when she told me this. Just an example of how manipulative she can be.

Going hand in hand with the manipulation is imagination. She had a dozen imaginary friends at 2. She can play for hours with nothing more than her fingers (daddy finger, mommy finger, granny finger, etc). She literally taught her older brother how to imagine. She did jigsaw puzzles before he did, shaming him into catching up with her. One night, when we were watching Nova on PBS, she correctly identified from the tantalizing clues offered that the gamma rays coming from distant reaches of the universe were coming from black holes.

The same teacher had both kids in preschool and she swore she thought DD was smarter than DS.

Question is - has anyone seen a kid like this before? I assume that she probably is gifted - probably HG - and that someday she will settle down and cooperate enough that we can measure it and start to challenge her.

But for the moment - she simply refuses to cooperate, and I can't convince the school that she is anything other than a normal kid who just reads well for her age.

Mary