Oh Mary!
So you were just testing us with tales of DS! ((smile and sympathy))

It does sound like dd is more gifted. and in a way, it's ok to celebrate that he is so aware socially. DS9 says "gifted in charisma"

Have you read Deb Ruf's Loosing our Minds? She tells how to estimate giftedness based on early landmarks such as puzzel interest, letter learning, and figuring out christmas, tooth fairy etc. I think she'd be a good one to talk things over with.

Do you have any schools that would allow dd to spend at least part of her day with people who she can be herself in front of?

We're looking at a very flexible independent school that, from what I hear, has many "extrodinarily gifted children" who are 3 or 4 grade levels above their age mates. The reason I want to consider this change is just so he doesn't have to "hide himself." over years of struggle, he has figured out how to befriend and enjoy his agemates, unfortunatly what that means is not fully being himself.

Reminds me of the old saying:
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"

I'm nervous about changing from a somewhat workable situation, but as above, If not now, when?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com