Hi

My DS7 (grade 1) has likely DCD (per the OT) and possible vision issues (convergence insufficiency). The school is aware of the DCD and has some accommodations on record for him.

Yesterday, DS came home worried about some homework he had submitted to his teacher - he said it was too messy and didn't want his teacher to see it. Apparently his teacher had told the whole class that they would lose marks on their work if it was messy. I don't think it was the same homework he handed in, but some work they were doing in class.

DH talked to him about it and told him not to worry too much about messiness - that his teachers had agreed that for DS, neatness should not be an issue (unless it is specifically a handwriting practise or something similar).

The problem is that telling DS points are deducted for messiness is the wrong thing to say _to him_. He will spend all his time trying to fulfill that expectation and not get the actual work done, or miss recess to finish the work, or be mad at himself. He already comes home and tells us all his artwork is bad, that he failed at this or that project. It makes me so sad.

How do we handle this with DS? Should we talk to his teacher (again!) and ask her about this?