Thanks for these suggestions! I have heard of most of them, so I must be doing good research! I am familiar with Sudbury Valley, but that's just too out there for me, as would be Parts and Crafts and other democratic "let's trust the kids to educate themselves" kinds of places. My kid would play video games and draw all day.

But I would certainly consider places like that if I homeschooled and was looking for some extra educational options and social time for my child. That's my main worry about homeschooling. My child would have no friends in a new city, and although he's an introvert, he needs a friend or two.

I did like what I saw on the Phoenix school website, but I do think that would be too far out, and I also liked the Odyssey School website. That was so much less money than the other schools, I was a little wary. Why? :)

I know there is a public Montessori in Cambridge, but there is currently a waiting list. I don't know how I feel about a public Montessori. I wonder how Montessori it is vs. how public school it is.

I am kind of leaning toward homeschooling for a year to get our bearings...I go back and forth. Does anyone know if there are good socializing opportunities for homeschoolers? Is it easy to make friends? There seem to be a lot of great programs available for extracurricular learning.

Thanks!