Thank you, Loy58. I feel like my gut is telling me that going in with an inquiry about giving her something different might put us at a disadvantage -- they will then be, say, on alert to find their reasons why status quo is sufficient, and talk us into waiting it out longer. (Sounds cynical, but I know they have faith in their system.) My spouse, OTOH, thinks getting assessments outside of school would be pointless if the school is just going to downplay/counter any results with asynchronous traits.

Originally Posted by Loy58
SHOULD they understand that giftedness and asynchronony can cause emotional issues? YES! Do they, though? Well, here's what I've seen...often they do not. Too many well-meaning school professionals still have the image in their mind of the "gifted" student as a "perfect" child, who does well in school and never causes a problem.

Yeah, I can totally understand that. For as much as I like DD's very experienced teacher, I feel she is in the play-based, "let kids be kids while they can" camp. And it's not that I want to push my child through her youth, I just want her learning at her level. I want her exposure to new things to be absorbing and creative, not just worksheets and autonomous learning.

I think I'm leaning toward outside counseling, but am going to suck it up and approach her teacher again.