If I might join this thread, I have similar questions about my DD7 (1st grade, no IQ testing yet, reading level P on Fountas and Pinnell in January; high math sense, very intuitive, teacher has been made comments and is giving her a bit of enrichment), unhappy going to school pretty much all year (except for the social aspect).

After spending several weeks navigating the school system GT offerings for my DS9 (not easy), I am seeing there will not be much early elementary support for GT/acceleration/compacting, particularly with this Common Core transition period (and the "added rigor" of the differentiation it's "supposed" to provide) and expanded testing is being added. Attentions seem to be focused elsewhere. It also seems to be a more baseline GT/high abilities program, rather than, as Loy58 mentioned, a special needs unique child treatment.

Meanwhile, DD has been suffering through math (yet not wanting to go against the rules by learning ahead), saying she hates it because she knows it. I've seen no evidence of SSA in early grades. Even if it's offered for math, DD's advanced in reading and writing as well, though that as well is showing signs of slowing with her growing withdrawal. She's becoming more risk averse, failure averse, I presume from too little challenge.

How does one approach the school, who next? The GT teacher is not the decision-maker of who gets served (which starts in 4th). The kids' teachers don't pretend to be able to offer formal GT services, but do some differentiation.

Do I talk to the guidance counselor about her emotional issues -- the anxiety (hair chewing, emotional volatility at home) and not wanting to go to school most of the time? Do issues like that have any impact on whether health insurance will cover psychological testing (IQ), to check for proper accommodations? Does having emotional issues on record with the school work against acceleration? (Meaning, should I see outside counsel instead?)

Thanks!