I had to bump this marvellous older thread I just came across. There's been a couple recent discussions about physics books, so I am guessing I'm not the only one who will enjoy spending a few days pouring through this bonanza of resources. In fact, on-line materials are appearing at such a rate that the real challenge is figuring where to spend your time - and possibly your money. I'm drowning in choice! With the benefit of almost three more years since this thread was created, I'd love to hear recent experience to help triage.

On our end, our particular interests include engaging physics materials in any format (info, courses, games, whatever) for DS11, who smuggles Neil de Grasse Tyson under the covers, but has no exposure yet to any systematic physics concepts. The more visual the better (visual as in he loves geometry but not algebra - as opposed to we want graphic design run amuk!). Anything to do with gravity, particle, quantum and cosmology especially welcome.

I've recently been pouring through "The Great Courses" listings, including two courses strongly recommended a couple of years ago by ColinsMum (The Joy of Math and Particle Physics for Non-Physicists). I'm teetering on the edge of ordering, but wondering if that's just crazy in this new era of free Coursera et al? Same question for an EPGY physics course (which will never be recognized by our schools). Somehow the simplicity and linear coherency of something like The Great Courses - with physical DVDs in hand - appeals (but perhaps that's just my age showing?) And to be perfectly honest, regardless of what appeals to me, DS is rather resistant to after-schooling, and probably would enjoy a random selection of youtube videos and websites more than something that smacks of systematic instruction (and he's the antithesis of linear). Though I presume The Great Courses are more of a "watch for entertainment" as compared to EPGY which requires a lot of "do as homework"...?