He as continuously getting in trouble, missing out on fun activities and getting low scores because of "illegible" work or "half-assed" worked. I knew there was something going on but according to the teacher "He probably has ADHD. My kid has ADHD and is medicated and she's such a good student now. I bet the same would be true for "DS". Instead we decided to get him tested because my gut told me something else was going on. Turned out to be Executive Function Deficit, Motor Apraxia and Dysgraphia along with ADHD. When the occupation therapist during the IEP meeting told her about the accommodations to help him with writing her exact words were "we need to get this kid ready for the real world" and "he isn't failing, he just gets lazy". I wouldn't have really bothered except he had to watch the other kids get to play outside, get a treat, etc while he had to "try" and rewrite a number of items because it was illegible. Turned out he couldn't control it like a child with a crooked spine can't help limping.