Reminds me of our district--kids wander everywhere. I know of a couple kindergarteners who actually left the school building without anyone knowing, and one of them walked home 2 blocks, with street crossings! Of course, the school acted like it was no big deal. We were supposed to pick up one of DS's friends (first grade) last year--the parents sent a note saying we were going to pick him up by the back door. The kid left by a different door and didn't see us so started walking to our house by himself. Of course, we weren't there, Dh was at the school looking for him! Dh reported the kid missing and about 10 min. later I saw the principal and teacher walking together down the sidewalk toward our house, looking for him. Umm...maybe they could have split up, gone different ways, and walked a bit faster? Ugh. Another parent saw him wandering the neighborhood, picked the kid up in her car and brought him back to the school.

Sorry this happened, but I bet the school wouldn't think it's a big deal (if it's anything like ours). Kids as young as 5 just stroll down the halls unsupervised.