DS6 is hard work. Between hyperactivity, explosive temper, tantrums, attention seeking, blaming everyone else for anything that goes wrong, negativity, and distractibility, I am at my wits end. I often find myself at a loss for how to respond to him these days. We have just started him at a new school, and I think it will be good for him. They have experience with giftedness and difficult temperaments. But its only been two weeks, and I already have had to sign a report sent home for problem behaviour. I am feeling like a failure at the moment. I have been short with him because I am exhausted. Everything ends up a battle. And I feel like I am just doing everything wrong.

We have had outside support. Originally he was diagnosed PDD-NOS, so we did a couple years of ABA therapy. We have worked a bit with psychologists and OT. I think our next step will be to get a counsellor/psychologist involved to help create a behaviour plan to be used consistently at home and school. But I feel like we have worked on stuff, and it never really seems to get much better. And it seems like there is so much difficult behaviour to work through.

Sometimes I just want to run away and hide.