When my kids were younger, I had erred on the side of undervaluing, which has led to some strange incidental results. For example, my kids responding on the CTY survey that they were average when their scores exceeded the award ceremony levels.
Some may say this is modesty. Some may say there is a difference between under/overVALUING and under/overESTIMATING.

While the article focuses on parents' overvaluation...
This article may be fluff, but draws attention to the researcher's article published days earlier, and to the research study, which are both interesting reads. Some may say the article does not have great fidelity to the studies, but seems to draw in personal anecdotes. As the article's author bio mentions being a parent to an almost-6-year-old, some may wonder whether portions of the article may be aimed at the kvelling of specific parents. For example, the thoughts about how much time a child should be on the field in a soccer game.

This article was published a few days after the researcher's article was published in the Washington Post, in which the researcher cites the work of Carol Dweck regarding praise* and does not mention soccer.

In reading the links for the study resources, one of the tells was described as "When parents overvalue their child, they... perceive their child as more gifted than actual IQ scores justify". The researcher attributed this to narcissistic parents who were described as feeling superior and desiring admiration.

The study also suggests, "overvaluing parents want their child to stand out from the crowd. One way to accomplish this is by giving children a unique, uncommon first name." Hopefully we are not to be suspect of each family which has bestowed unique names upon their child/ren, understanding the parents to be narcissists with a sense of superiority and entitlement, needing admiration?

...my concern these days are actually the overvaluation on the parts of teachers and other third parties. On the one hand, it is nice that teachers/staff recognize your children's abilities and stellar characteristics. On the other hand, I am not completely comfortable with the extravagant praises and sometimes even the awards/prizes.
To help us understand your lived experience which has informed your view, would you share examples of the praises, awards, and prizes which you've seen as indications of overvaluing, and with which you were uncomfortable?

Another link from the study resources cites a 2004 study which discusses the Psychological Entitlement Scale (PES): "Entitlement is at the heart of many questions concerning the distribution of resources in society, from tax breaks and social welfare to university enrollments and even access to good seats for football games." The study preview goes on to describe the broad range of individuals with a sense of entitlement... crossing SES and majority/minority culture, from successful athletes to criminals preying on the weak.

*The work of Carol Dweck regarding praise: This has been posted on other threads, but since there are always new members joining the forum, and since the article mentions Carol Dweck... One aspect or application of Dweck's work is that gifted kids may stop taking appropriate risks in order to always be "right" or always be "smart" or never be "wrong", and this may work against them as a fixed mindset and lack of resilience. The concept of fixed mindset vs growth mindset is nicely summarized in these youtube videos:
Ashley Merryman & Po Bronson: The Myth of Praise (link-
)
Carol Dweck: Teaching a Growth Mindset (link-
)