I'm sure there are many who just hang around meeting low expectations. Which is why I understand the push for higher expectations all around. Where I part company with the reformists is what "all around" means. I do not believe that the expectations should be the same for everyone, nor do I believe as we were told at a common core meeting-- that before cc, only gifted classes had high expectations. Now everyone will. Special ed will be held to the same high expectations. No exceptions (on diploma track). I think we should raise the expectations of LEARNING (not of work output) for EVERYONE, including above average kids.

Seeems reasonable to me, yeah. I think there is much to be thought about here.

My 2E who scored the highest in his grade on the SAT10 was in remedial classes and it was a year and a half long fight, complete with outside testing, to get him out, and get accommodations that allowed him to excel in the grade level and above classes.

This is what I mean. Many parents will not do this, don't know they should do this, or are not capable of doing this. Class plays a part here. Many people have been brought up not to question the authority of teachers and the school system.