It sounds like you want to homeschool but are worried that you can't keep at it. I had the exact same worries when we pulled Aiden out. Now we are 2.5 years later and I can say honestly that I wish I had had the confidence to start earlier than we did.

I think a lot of people confuse homeschooling with school-at-home. They are different and it doesn't have to be like that. You can put together an interesting curriculum based on needs, asychnronicity, varied interests etc.

For us, the largest part of the first two years has been focused almost totally on life skills and "soft/supporting skills" - ie we worried more about his ability to play nicely, to make his own bed, to be helpful around the house. To be able to write neatly and with confidence and most essentially we have focused on building independent work/learning ability.

It works most days now and I am confident that it will continue to grow. He has now come to me and asked for increased time spent on focused learning activities. He plans his own timetable and is now open to suggestions from me. We include things like music, taekwondo, chess club etc as part of learning time.

I homeschool my 5 year old as well as having my 3 year old around - and the independent learning is brilliant! I don't think we would all be as happy with the way things work if we hadn't focused so much on giving him the freedom to work on his own.

My long-winded point, is that if this is what you really want to do, there is no reason why you can't - it sounds as though you have an excellent choice of abundant support there, and most essentially it sounds as though you really want to. So why not try it for a year and then decide from there?

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)