In our school, there is some differentiation in math in the upper elementary levels. For example, starting in 3rd, the class was split into two groups but they all learned grade level math, but at a different pace. From 4th, they split the group into two separate grade levels.

In the lower elementary classes, they are grouped according to ability, but in all honesty, there is really is no individual differentiation since the classrooms are so project and group based, this would be difficult. Kids were tested for reading proficiency prior to acceptance so we have no centers for ELA, just math.

My DD is the only child being subject accelerated to another math grade (1st grade to 2nd ) because we advocated for that. We had to sign an expectation contract and was warned not to discuss the acceleration with any other student/parent. She is still not placed appropriately and even worse, she is expected to make up for work she has missed since the classes are not held at the same time. The days she is not in the 2nd grade class, her group is encouraged to use higher level math to complete classwork. For example instead of using addition, use multiplication/division. She is not being taught new concepts and is very frustrated.

I am discovering that in our experience, the gifted school has a much more rigid, inflexible view on educating gifted kids. I think schools that are set up to try and meet an individual's learning pace tend to have similar schedules for most grade levels. Our school does not.