Originally Posted by ashley
So, she fired her tutor and has hired a nanny to drive her son to various tutors and co-ops and now he seems to be getting the instruction at his level. And I hear that it is a lot cheaper than a full time tutor.
Hope this helps!

This is what I was going to suggest. DD11 goes to a homeschool co-op with classes at the 8th / 10th grade level, barters babysitting for Chemistry help with one of the instructors (who has a PhD but also two young children), does online stuff at home, and wants to volunteer at an animal shelter. In another 18 months she'll be old enough for a class at our community college with an adult chaperon. We've also looked at local homeschool science labs, outdoor skills school, etc... which don't fit into our schedule right now but are options.

This works for us because DH is self-employed and has a highly flexible schedule. However if we both had office jobs, we'd probably hire a nanny to ferry her around during the day and sit in classes as necessary (we may still as her schedule gets crazier). The nanny would need a good report with your child (not all adults like gifted children), be good at researching educational options and classes, and be organized. But they don't need to know everything.

And for the record, don't assume you can reenter the system at some future point. DD left public midway through 4th and is now accelerated 2-4 years across subjects. I can't see a path to reentering at this time.