Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Portia
Our state rules you cannot hire a tutor full time like that. The parent is responsible for the education. That being said, "enrichment" from any source is allowed. Enter co-ops, subject tutors, groups, and classes.

I wonder how film companies get around this, or whether they avoid your state altogether, because full-time, on-set tutoring is how they fulfill the educational needs of child actors, per union contract and child labor laws.
There are two private schools here in Southern California that teacher junior high through high school one-on-one. (I have talked to one of them to see if they could do just one class.) These are accredited schools and they set the students up with a tutor for each class. If you go full time they are AS expensive or more as private school. And while most kids go to one of their "campuses" they will send tutors out for more money. One of the types of students they attract are those who work in the entertainment industry. California also has quite strict rules as to the number of hours a youth can work on set. Until they are 18 or graduated from high school they can only work part time.

I realize that only affect kids 12+ and don't know how tutors for younger kids work. And this doesn't help the poster on her original question.