DD9 brought home her interims and what is called "mCLASS Literacy Report". I actually had to sit down when I saw the scores. DD has always had nothing but 4s and the occasional 3's since K. She had 2's for the first time in her life in Reading - Literature Fiction, Key Ideas, and Refer to Ideas. I truly had no idea what was going on. To top it off her literacy report stated that her (the mCLASS report) had "retelling a story" at a very low level. This is a child whose levels previously stated that she was reading and comprehending at middle school levels. Her test scores have been stable for years. I pounced on my husband when he walked in the door, and his question was "Why the change now? What is different?"
I have attempted to get information from DD about the teacher and the reading. She states A)Why do I want to know about her private business? (this is so frustrating). B) That she has to listen to this teacher read the chapter book out loud which is quite boring so when the teacher asks her questions she just shrugs, and (C)This teacher rates a 1 (out of a score from 1 - 5, 1 being bad). DD then shared some of the yelling and things the teacher had said to her (DD has been losing items and forgetting homework again, like last year).
DD has been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive, but would that cause one particular reading score to plummet? Would hating a teacher affect just one section? We are waiting for the 504 for the ADHD to kick in (very soon). I am just so upset for DD. She read the interim. She saw that there were no 4's. We have never ever made a big deal over grades - but she noticed the difference.
We did plan on pulling DD from this school, but the other school we have interviewed was not as advertised, unfortunately.
DD deserves a kind teacher. I told my husband that he will be the one who needs to speak at the conference because I don't know if I can be civil.