Originally Posted by aeh
I looked up mCLASS, and found that it is a computerized outgrowth of DIBELS, with various components that are administered and analyzed through the same online platform. From your description, I suspect that your district has switched to using mCLASS:beacon, which consists of 4-6 item probes in various grade-level common core learning standards in ELA and math. I would imagine that if she found a set of items (which would all be one task) annoying, that she could have checked out or replied under protest for just that item set.

Keep in mind that, like most interim assessments, mCLASS is designed to catch low-performing students and flag them for intervention, not to identify high-performing students for enrichment. The ceilings are generally rather low (often determined by the grade-level setting on the assessment) on these quick and dirty measures. Plus, is this system new to your system? It's often administered on the computer, where a misplaced button press or keystroke could make all the difference.

You can try to get them to re-administer. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. I would spend some time finding out where your DD's comments and attitude are coming from, first, though. (Sounds like you've made a start on that already.)

Thank you for finding out about the assessment. It is a new system for the school (state?). I have the sheets next to me to look up the actual scores. Interesting that it's meant to focus on lower level learners. If the teacher will show us DD's actual test as we requested it will be helpful to see where she went wrong.
We are pretty clear now about DD's attitude. That's why the psych. wants us to get her out of the school. Believe me, we are working very very hard on this. DD is very unhappy about school (except her math class where she's accelerated (love that teacher!!!!!).