Quote from Val:

"Someone seems to have had a bad idea some time ago and now everyone else at the schools just goes along with it!

I mean, who decided that the best thing for a kindergartner is to learn to identify letters, regardless of actual knowledge? And why do you have to be 16 to take an AP course?"

I Know! Isn't it cruel? Control freaks! I will keep trying because this is only the beginning of High School drama for me (1 in & 3 more coming up).

Part of my beef may not be reasonable, even to you all...The quality of teachers varies. Last year DS was in Honors Eng. The teacher was not good, lots of people left class, even as late as last 9wks, transferring to regular english (no honors) because of teacher. I wish we had the freedom to opt out of a class offered if we didn't like the teacher for an online or community college offering and then the district could identify weak teachers and Make Changes. I know this is unrealistic because of teachers' unions, but the school won't approve an online class that they offer.

We all know that we suffered through some pretty quirky teachers in high school, so I wonder if my quest for DS to not waste time, not suffer through, is just part of the usual High School experience. Not every class is going to be valuable, interesting, engaging. Is it just having too high expectations?