I have a meeting with the district this week because I found out DS will not get credit for online or summer institute courses. We didn't set out to take any courses for credit, but thought we'd ask in case he could graduate early. I asked for a meeting because I want to ask them how they can address my high ability kids, if not allowing online courses (from highly reputable univ/programs), because they cannot otherwise offer what they need. There are such limited electives, AP classes reserved for jrs/srs, math goes up to calculus, etc. and our community college offers very little else.

I have this vision that down the line, they'll allow 1/2 time enrollment, and let the boys do 1/2 online or dual enrollment, even for a freshman or sophomore. If a teacher is horrible, I'd have a choice of letting my son take the course elsewhere. I know I'm dreaming, but the actual high school is a nightmare for an HG kid. Are there alternatives I don't know about that I should be advocating for to accommodate HG needs?