Originally Posted by Cynthialcy
So I am wondering how intense is the obsessive interested of other kids, will your LO refuse to learn other stuff other than their interest?

My son does like to learn reading at home, but doesn't interest to learn it in school.

My DD has been dx with ASD, ADHD, and is PG. She's currently obsessed with cats, but not to the point where she doesn't learn or do other things. She actually really likes to do math and she could spend hours laying around reading books. Of course, if the book happens to have cats in it, or if she can convince someone to give her a Hello Kitty sticker on her math sheets, so much the better.

At age 3 she was actually really into cars. That year she pretended she was a little white car, and whenever we went anywhere she always wanted me to tell her what the other cars on the road where (make and model) and she eventually learned to identify a number of them herself. (She could also read by this age so sometimes she just read what was printed on them, of course.) She also liked to play pretend with her dollhouse, read, do math, dot-to-dots, etc. The next 2ish years she was really into ducks, then around 1st grade she landed on cats.

At age 5 she was evaluated but not dx with ASD because she rated quite decently on some measures used but they said she might be in the future, and she was, at age 8.

She also has especially poor eye contact, lots of sensory processing stuff, poor muscle tone, and is very inflexible, so lots of other stuff going on besides the cat obsession.