Hi Polarbear,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. You are calming me down! And that is a brilliant idea to set up a post-post report meeting. ven with an outline, I never do seem to get all my questions remembered/asked when I'm in the throes of the meeting. Why can I do that just fine at work, but not in this context I wonder?

To your question - DS has all sorts of struggles at school. He is halting at best on any sort of work that requires writing. Last year in K, he was perpetually kept in at recess and lunch to finish work. (This continued even after there was a written plan that said NOT to do this). He has already been told by this year's teacher that he will soon be in the same boat. This quickly spirals into him being embarrassed. And he is naturally hyper-vigilant and quick to make a first strike if he thinks anybody is threatening or teasing him or ABOUT to threaten or tease him. Finally, all these problems are wildly exacerbated by noise, chaos or people getting in his space, which is basically the definition of a K/1 class room. So - many challenges.

I have read in a few places here about an accommodation of sitting near the teacher. I haven't asked for this simple but powerful step. DS always turns to trusted adults for security, and I can't wait to get this in place! Any others suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks again to you all,
Sue