Hi aeh,

Wow - amazing explanations. Thanks very much.

"CTOPP: So basically his entire vocabulary of decoding (reading) and encoding (spelling) is memorized, since he appears to have untestably negligible phonological awareness."

This sounds exhausting and limiting to me: But it also rings true based on how he "reads." He has a huge reading vocabulary, and can read - for example - complex Magic the Gathering cards quite fluently. Until he hits a word he doesn't know. Then it's all stop.

So I guess I'm back to wondering - is there anything here that would help us decide whether we should go with a private tutor or Lindamood Bell-like thing to support him in school - versus - do we need to pull him out of public school and look into a school for dyslexic learners? Or should we just start trying things and see how he responds? That sounds so hit or miss and time seems to be flying.

FYI - in parallel we are grappling with how we would home school. It's just something that would be very, very hard for us for a number of intractable reasons. But I'll bet lots of people at this sort of juncture say that ....