Originally Posted by ashley
I am no expert, but I thought that most kids (and adults) have fixed IQs that may fall in a range based on the type of test. It is interesting to read this article that says that the IQ level can fluctuate a lot! An old article, but I came across it today and thought I would share it here.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203935604577066293669642830
The interesting part for me was this:
Schooling in general raises IQ by several points a year, based on research by Stephen Ceci, a professor of developmental psychology at Cornell, and others. "If you look at an IQ test, it asks things like, 'Who wrote Hamlet?' or 'Why do we pay for postage?' You are most likely to come across the answers in school," Dr. Ceci says. Even nonverbal abilities such as solving puzzles and spatial tasks may blossom because math classes today include visual reasoning with matrices, mazes, blocks or designs, he adds.

Knowing who wrote Hamlet is part of an IQ test? Wow! If I were from a different culture, I might have a really low IQ if this was the case.

Of course IQ can change significantly throughout one's lifetime; so too can height, weight, and visual acuity. In the prepubescent years of a child's life his or her IQ can vary considerably as a result of genetically programmed growth spurts, which is confirmed by measuring and comparing the IQ's of monozygotic and dizygotic twins. IQ can change in the later years of one's life as a result of cognitive diminution (Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, and the like).