Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by ultramarina
DD8's math homework recently had a word problem featuring a certain famous, household-name basketball player from Chicago's heyday who wore number 23.

We have noticed an unholy obsessions with baseball and basketball in DFD's homework. DD really does not care about these sports so she is perpetually mystified. Recently she had to fill in the blank with the word "foul" (the player "fouled" another player). Her only context for this word was "disgusting," so she was extremely confused.

There was something else lately where she was supposed to know what a triple play was.

I think these may be intended to make work more exciting to boys? I don't know, but seriously, they exclude some children.
Part of cultural literacy is knowing the basics about the major American sports, including what a "foul ball" or "triple play" is. In the business world knowledge of professional and college sports is an important ice-breaker.

Generally useful, but unimportant. Adults should be able to find common interests with each other that can act as social lubricants. Entertainment, travel, business experiences, and family are all similar, non-controversial topics.

However, in certain circles it's VERY important, because it ensures an executive is doing business with the "right kind" of person. Good-old-boys and glass ceilings, etc.

After all, just as ultramarina indicated this sort of thing excludes certain children in school, it's also quite handy for excluding certain adults in the business world.
Are we writing as parents or social reformers here? It looks like you don't disagree with my advice if that if you want your children to do well in business, have them know something about sports.