Some things my DS said about his IQ test indicated cultural bias to me... One was the postage stamp question! Apparently he got that wrong because we pretty much never deal with postage stamps at this house as we do just about everything online! I remember my mom doing bills and writing letters when I was kid and helping her put the postage stamps on them. DS never sees a postage stamp. LOL. The other thing that he mentioned that really got me was one of the picture tests. I don't know what the "question" was but he said he was confused by one of the pictures on the picture test because it had what looked like a keyboard but no screen attached! He said he figured paper went with the picture but wasn't sure b/c it was only "half" of a computer. "Mom" he says to me "no computer has just a keyboard! some types of computers have just screen with no keyboard but none the other way around, right?!" He added "that he looked very closely for a picture of a printer but didn't see one." LOL. I realized the picture must have been of a typewriter - again something else DS has never seen. And, just the other day, I pulled out an iron we had in the basement and was thinking of donating it to goodwill. DS asked what it was. I told him. He asked "so it gets hot, then?" I said yes. he said "darn! now it makes sense!" Apparently there had been a picture of an iron on the picture test and he didn't know what it was. When I was a kid my mom would watch soap operas and iron the laundry. Obviously, I never iron - we use "wrinkle release" and the clothes dryer! LOL.

SO I realized there may be quite a lot of "cultural" bias in those IQ tests!

Last edited by Irena; 11/07/13 02:49 PM.