Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by ultramarina
DD8's math homework recently had a word problem featuring a certain famous, household-name basketball player from Chicago's heyday who wore number 23.

We have noticed an unholy obsessions with baseball and basketball in DFD's homework. DD really does not care about these sports so she is perpetually mystified. Recently she had to fill in the blank with the word "foul" (the player "fouled" another player). Her only context for this word was "disgusting," so she was extremely confused.

There was something else lately where she was supposed to know what a triple play was.

I think these may be intended to make work more exciting to boys? I don't know, but seriously, they exclude some children.
Part of cultural literacy is knowing the basics about the major American sports, including what a "foul ball" or "triple play" is. In the business world knowledge of professional and college sports is an important ice-breaker.

Only random Monty Python, Doctor Who, and Star Trek references truly let you know who the right people are, however. Everyone knows this. LOL.

Oh, sure-- some of those people also love sports. Some of them love chamber music. That is merely coincidence, though. grin

I've educated my spouse about early music notation and he's educated me about the niceties of a "perfect" game. In spite of irritating questions like "Shouldn't a pitcher really have to only make 27 pitches if he were truly having a "perfect" game?" I still maintain that this is a perfectly valid line of reasoning, but whatever. He seemed to think it was hopelessly gauche. I defer to his judgement on baseball, and he defers to me about composers. Ken Burns' work seems to suffice as common ground here, supporting Dude's assertion.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.