Originally Posted by master of none
[quote=NikiHarp]To help with this problem, I've always been careful to NOT tell the teacher what my kid knows or needs to learn-- even if I know. I let the teacher get to know my kid. But, if my kid is not getting something, is suffering emotionally, or there are any problems, I bring those problems to their attention-- even if I know the problem is that the teacher won't let my kid type. So for example, LittleTimmy is having a hard time getting his work done in school and he has negative comments on his papers. I'd say "LittleTimmy says he's trying so hard to work faster and neater and he's getting frustrated, so at home, I let him type. I hope that's OK. He'd like to know if there's any way he could do that at school too."

mon offers wonderful advice, but I diverge a slight bit here in how I approach things. I would not go about this in this manner when you know your ds is dysgraphic and has a diagnosis. I'd be up front and state that he needs to have access to keyboarding or scribing or whatever is recommended in your report. I'd explain why he needs that (explain what dysgraphia is and how it impacts a child when using handwriting). Like mon I believe it's important to stay polite and focus on the child, but I do think it's possible to be polite, be focused on your child, and discuss accommodations directly rather than playing a bit of a game to win the teacher over.

polarbear