Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

At this point, I don't know that I have enough valid information to request a teacher change. I have a close friend who has a child receiving special education services and she and her son had a bad experience. I've contacted my friend for details so I can make a better decision. I received similar negative comments from a total stranger while waiting on allergy shots.

This is going to sound crazy, but I'm afraid of the negative repercussions this will have on DS and our future in this school. Independently, my husband and brother both asked if I felt that this was vindictive behavior. I had this same thought but it seems paranoid and crazy to even consider a school behaving this way.

polarbear, I don't honestly know if he needs a 504 or IEP. From what I can tell, either will be very difficult to receive. I have requested a meeting and was told last year that the meeting would take place the first week of school. I sent the AP a request for this again last week and have had no reply. Do I have to send an actual paper letter?? I don't even know how to go about getting a local advocate.

I get the sense that this school has a VERY high opinion of itself. It's an affluent area and the parents here are intense. I talked with three different moms that I would consider friends two weeks ago and was astounded by our conversation. One was concerned that their 4 year old couldn't properly grip a pencil. Another was chastising herself for slacking on the sight word flash cards with her 4 year old. Another asked my opinion of the educational content of the centers in the three year old preschool class. It just seemed a bit much to me for preschool. I don't get a sense that these are kids begging to be taught to read and write but I could be wrong.

Feel free to keep sending your thoughts. This is uncharted territory for me. I do have a very clear narrative report outlining the diagnosis and recommendations from a ed psych. I feel 100% confident in her assessment.