Originally Posted by NikiHarp
I get the sense that this school has a VERY high opinion of itself. It's an affluent area and the parents here are intense. I talked with three different moms that I would consider friends two weeks ago and was astounded by our conversation. One was concerned that their 4 year old couldn't properly grip a pencil. Another was chastising herself for slacking on the sight word flash cards with her 4 year old. Another asked my opinion of the educational content of the centers in the three year old preschool class. It just seemed a bit much to me for preschool. I don't get a sense that these are kids begging to be taught to read and write but I could be wrong.

Even if the kids are begging to read/write the parents sound just a bit hyper about it lol!

Anyway, what you need to do is totally ignore and don't put those other parents on your radar. What the other parents are doing, or how the school district views itself have no bearing on what your child is *legally* entitled to - you need to simply focus on what your ds needs to be successful, and advocate with blinders on to the rest. I am not sure from what you've said if you turned in your previous requests via email (email should count as a "written" request) - but if you have, I'd write a formal "letter" requesting either the 504 or an IEP evaluation (depending on which you feel is appropriate), send that in via email to your school's 504 or SPED coordinator, and cc the district head of either 504 or SPED. Once that is in you've officially started a time clock which means they will have to respond with either "we'll hold a meeting on xx date" or "we do not think your ds needs the 504 or IEP meeting" - and you'll have either your starting date or you'll have the starting point from which you appeal the decision to not review your ds' needs.

Can I ask a silly question? I'm not sure what "AP" stands for?

pbear