I've actually never heard that term: "ghetto-izing". I admit it didn't garner a positive reaction.
I wasn't going to say anything but since Kriston piped in......

I hope this fall is a dream school experience for your son and it absolutely can be.

I would just keep your eye out for glitches. If things are not going well sometimes the child's behavior will change and that's a good reason to start looking into things.

DD6 had a very bad year in K. The teacher told me everything I wanted to hear but didn't do anything she said she would and I couldn't pin her down on it until after winter break.
That was a lot of wasted time in my opinion, it didn't have to be that way.
Additionally, she will swear to this day that DD loved kindergarten and was always happy. She literally had sunshine blowing out her butt when she told me all about how everything was perfect.
However, DD came home from school withdrawn, sullen, sometimes crying, sometimes saying she was stupid.
On the off chance it was just a transition issue, I peeked throught the window sporadically. Sure enough I saw her on several occasions sitting by herself in the back of the room with a VERY sad look on her face. But it wasn't until nearer to the end of the year that I figured this stuff out.
I like to take people at their word and had no reason to think she would either lie or be so clueless about the situation.
ON the other hand DD8's second grade teacher did everything she promised. There were a few bumpy moments, but all in all, she had a better year than I could have ever expected.

Just pay attention to what's going on and gauge your child's most common mood after school and also before school. It they are always upset about the prospect of going to school in the morning, it's worth looking into.