Originally Posted by Portia
I wondered why he would write something that personal in a bio. Isn't this the child that never feels heard and is judged harshly against in school? I assume creative writing is a strength as he is in a summer camp for it. ... I wonder if this is a way for him to be heard. Something like - "see, even with all these challenges, my work is fantastic" kind of thing. Then I wonder if it is his way of trying to educate those that don't know about his challenges as to the possibilities that really can lie ahead for a child like him.

Yes, yes and yes. That is exactly it. He looks normal but can NOT write people are constantly perplexed by this - peers, aides, teachers. Everyone. He is nine year old who still reverses every number and most of his letters. Believe you me, this affects him and his sense of identity and his being self-conscious of how people see him. He seems really smart but he can't write (which is something EVERYONE else smart or not seems to be able to do no problem!) He is miserable at school but he wants people to know he is not miserable at school because he is "stupid" he is miserable there b/c he does not learn the same way as others; because he has challenges AND gifts, neither of which EVER get truly addressed or recognized at school.

Whenever we read someone intelligent and super creative (like Steve Jobs, or Thomas Edison) has/had dyslexia we get such a surge from it ( only because we never hear of famous dysgraphics) and I think that inspires him. Like when that kid who plays harry potter talked about how he is dyspraxic and can't write or tie his shoelaces. That gave my son SUCH comfort and inspiration. I think he is trying to reach out and do the same. He wants to share that he is Smart but he does have Dysgraphia and he is suppose to like school but he doesn't and it is NOT because he doesn't like learning. It kind-of really is who he is right now. And I kind-of feel like his disabilities are his to share not mine... so if I had to write it for him, it would, of course, be different but this is his personal info to share if he wants.

Last edited by Irena; 07/30/14 03:22 PM.