I'll share my thoughts, but will first share a little about me so you'll understand where they are coming from. I'm a glass-overflowing personality and very upbeat and positive. I wouldn't personally write anything like that at all, ever, that's just me. I've been told by people who love me that I'm so danged perky I sound happy and ready to party when I'm so sick I can hardly stand. SOOO…. I have a bit of a bias/filter re what I'd personally write in your ds' situation.

Sooo… if this was one of my kids, I'd encourage them to not be blunt. I would point out - who do they think will see/read this? What if someone from school sees it and takes it personally or remembers it? That might mean that person will in turn make a judgment about you (child) later when you want them to be thinking highly of you.

I would also ask - what does this have to do with the creative writing class (please don't flog me for asking that - I totally get how handwriting is wrapped up in everything!).. but really, this is a creative writing class, right? What did he like about the class itself? Since your ds loves writing, I would guide him to write a bit about what type of creative writing he enjoys, or how he writes from his life experiences (if he does) or how he dreams up his characters etc.

Lastly, it's supposed to be a description of your ds. True, he has ED and dysgraphia and he hates handwriting and he loves to learn. I like to encourage my ds to not focus on the things that are challenges but to face them, tackle them, and focus instead on his strengths and passions. What does your ds like besides writing? Other academic subjects? Fun hobbies? Sports? I think that's what other parents and teachers are expecting to see there, maybe with something simple like he's in third grade and he has a dog or a brother or he lives next to a pond that inspires him to think of mythical creatures, kwim?

One last thing - I would think just a bit - this is possibly a bit like a "you have 3 seconds to let everyone know one or two things about you." What would you pick? The thing you are not happy about, or something that would make other people think you're really cool?

Which is not to say your ds or any kid with a challenge isn't cool - just that it's a first-impression kind of thing, and maybe an only-impression kind of thing. And that I'd want to think through what impression it will leave with the people who read it. He's had feedback that it's not positive enough. That might also be the feedback he'd get from the larger audience when it's presented. If he's ok with that, that's ok - but I'd want him to listen to and think through the feedback he's received already.

I really do think it's great that he's open and honest and frank about his challenge and his likes/dislikes. That will serve him well as he advocates for himself in school and in life smile

I'm so glad he liked the camp! Did they let him use keyboarding?

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 07/30/14 02:52 PM.