My son is doing a two week creative writing class. At the end of the camp the children put their stories on an overhead to share at a parent assembly and it gets included in an anthology. In a text box next to the story is an "about the author." My son's reads "DS [full name] hates school but loves learning. He thinks that school is boring. He hates handwriting because he has dysgraphia and Ehlers Danlos but he loves writing (on the computer). DS is 8 turning 9 and leaving 2nd grade."

So, what do y'all think of this? Maybe I am as warped as my kid but I loved it. Peers/friends at the camp told him it was "not positive enough." This is a criticism he gets A LOT. Kids his age seem only want to hear positive things and happy endings. They are very bothered by negative words or an expression of dislike . They were completely floored by his admitting he hates school and they said it makes no sense that someone would "hate school but love learning." DS is not easily put off, he told them it would make total sense if they had half a brain. Anyway, the instructor was fine with it but told him he should probably removed the info about dysgraphia and EDS. I told him to keep it in - it raises awareness and it is nothing to be ashamed of and it is a big part of who is.

So, any thoughts?

Last edited by Irena; 07/30/14 02:35 PM.