Originally Posted by MumOfThree
I should also add that like Polarbear we don't do "therapy" during holidays, we do it school days only. We do, however, make sure their extracurricular are carefully chosen and significantly therapeutic. Climbing trees and ropes and monkey bars are all significantly therapeutic for my DD with the hand issues, but they aren't "therapy" to her, so is Piano. Swimming, circus classes and piano have all been major parts of my Dyslexic child's therapy - massively improving left/right integration, crossing the midline, and sequencing skills. And we push back pretty hard if they try to quit an extra that we consider to be still a genuine therapeutic need.
This is why my daughter took dance for many years with a very wonderful and patient teacher. And both my kids took theater for a while.

That said, sometimes it works better to get the precise therapy that you child needs. I send my daughter to an educational therapist for 8 years and I am very glad I did.

My teenager will be taking writing classes this summer. He is not thrilled, but he needs the practice and there really isn't time during the school year to add on one more thing. He will also get lots of just hang out at home and go away to camp time as well.