One of mine, who is wildly extroverted, and also a verbal-tactile-kinesthetic learner, not only wants me to be around, but would prefer to sit on my lap while doing work (and this is when no assistance is necessary)...and this is -not- a six-year-old we're talking about, either!

I would agree with HK. Workbooks are pretty low in intrinsic relational qualities. And may not be that difficult for her either. She probably views them as a tool for special parent-child time, which is perfectly reasonable, especially at this age. I used to cuddle them to do work at this age (okay, I guess I just admitted I still do!). Or sit one up at the kitchen counter, so I could do kitchen work or tidy up while giving positive feedback ever so frequently. When working on the computer, I have one sit next to me, at another desk, or on the carpet. Some kids have a much higher need for company and interaction than others do.

Plus six-year-olds, even very bright ones, can't be expected to sit still or attend to a single task for more than a couple of minutes without a check-in. (Obviously, many HG/PG kids will focus for hours on their special interests, but if they don't, that's not unusual, either.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...