Originally Posted by DeeDee
Originally Posted by ashley
able to walk off the job at 3:45 pm, work for 9-10 months in a year

Sorry, I'm skeptical. Do they not grade papers, or plan lessons?

No grading papers or lesson plans in our school district for K, 1st and 2nd grades (the students either meet or do not meet requirements based on "observation" in the classroom) - they have a common lesson plan for the whole grade which presumably was made by the "lead teacher" many years ago - nothing new happening to their meager spelling lists, hand puppet making kits and single digit addition work sheets - no frequent updating of documents needed on that front! (I pulled DS out of the system, so I don't know if things are different for late elementary grades).

As the topic says, underprivileged kids had to sue the state and teachers in order to try to get a good education and a judge had to state that the situation "shocked the conscience" for people to take notice. It should not have come down to this. And I live in the highest performing school district in the state - I am horrified at what the underprivileged kids who depend on the school system to make or break their futures go through.