http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-teacher-protections-ruling-20140610-story.html
I am in California, in a high performing school district (API scores). I have moved my child to a private school - I pay for the PS (property tax and special school related taxes) and the private education for my child. Most of my problems with the schools in my district stem from the attitude of the teachers - especially towards gifted kids. I met teachers who were very well educated, tenured and "entrenched in the system" who were insensitive, unmotivated, unenergetic, full of excuses, lazy and struggling to do their jobs let alone differentiate based on a child's needs.
Many teachers who move on to 6 figure salaries and get pensioned off at that salary rate and have excellent health benefits, vacation time and perks and work for 10 months in a year have gotten used to having a comfortable lifestyle regardless of whether they perform or not.

I am so glad that someone with clout took it upon themselves to challenge a system that promotes "grossly ineffective" teachers (very true in my experience) and is fighting for placing children's interest in the forefront.