Originally Posted by Old Dad
From my experience, I will seldom if ever want a "new" teacher instructing my children. They simply don't have yet what it takes to differentiate, they aren't flexible enough, they're not confident enough, and they simply don't have the library of experience it takes to deal effectively with a GT student. Perhaps others have different experiences with newer teachers, our track record though shows clearly this to be the case.

I wouldn't want a brand new one either, but one with a few years' experience would be Ok. My kids had a teacher who was brand new to the district with 3 years experience and she tried a lot harder to differentiate than the teachers with 20+ years, was better about responding to concerns, etc. The teachers with 20+ years have their lesson plans that they use every year and they seem to resent anyone asking for something different. That being said, I think the best teacher we have dealt with was more experienced, and she was not burnt out. But I don't think that the best teachers necessarily have the most experience, or inexperienced teachers don't have what it takes. I think the ones who just have a couple years under their belt are still trying hard, they have more enthusiasm, and they don't have tenure yet so they are trying not to screw things up.