I'm sorry there are so many in CA that feel this way. I know in Iowa where I live, while a teacher can't be immediately dismissed unless it involves inappropriate contact with a student, there is a reasonable process to address ineffective teachers, the bigger problem is the vast majority of administration doesn't keep records, do reviews, or do any of the steps that process requires.

Most teachers do a good deal if not most of their planning, correspondence both written and verbal, grading, professional development, and reporting either before or after school hours. Few have any idea how much time is spent after school hours addressing school issues.

I'm not saying that the situation in CA is a good one or even reasonable, I'm simply saying that far too many across the country are far to quick to critically jump on teachers without having reasonable knowledge of what the position entails and how overwhelming the job can be. I think right now in our local school district, this is in Iowa mind you, about 50% of teachers choose not to continue in the career after the third year. That's pretty telling.