This is the case--both psychs who saw DS gave him the WISC (or WPPSI back in preschool) for other reasons, not to figure out if he is gifted. The first time because he had odd delays, the second time because he still had odd delays, I noted that there had been discrepancies (huge gaps) on the WPPSI a few years earlier, and he had a brain injury. He likes using the working memory section to identify possible ADHD.
But the whole test needs to be done to find discrepancies.

My thought on it is that once you reach a certain point like 99.9th percentile, does it really matter about getting an exact number? It's not like someone is going to say "this person has an IQ of 200 vs. 160 so we will grade accelerate 4 years instead of 2 years." The same issues would be present in both cases. DD has a GAI >99.9th percentile--personally I'm surprised she tested that high in the first place, there are a lot of factors going into it (like her being super careful with her answers or maybe just luck on that day), it can change a lot over time, and I'm not going to get too hung up on what is her exact IQ....it just doesn't matter that much. I now have a general idea of where she stands and that the non-verbal questions come easier to her which is good info to have.