I am on year 4 of a similar struggle. I will hedge by saying, while similar, my DS is EG, not PG so there may be some differences. What we (parents, teachers, g/t teacher, ed psych, tutor, etc.) found is that he will likely never get the 2e diagnosis b/c of his speed of learning. If you directly tell him something once he can apply it. That said, 90% of the time, he won't integrate the "basics" that he learned in class due to his perceived simplicity of it. We tried accelerating for a short period of time and actually found things getting worse b/c while he was more stimulated intellectually, his processing "glitch" was becoming more pronounced.

Since then, we have had great success with LB intervention (he needed some major gaps filled in) as it can easily identify the gaps in basics and they have the standardized retests annually so you can see if things fall between the cracks as he progresses throughout school. Following this, we have recently been "decelerating" him in school (not even sure if that is a real term smile ) to solidify the basis of reading, writing and math constructs, rules etc. as most who have the expertise tell me that he is ripe for significant struggles in 6-8 grade when the application and comprehension gets significantly harder. He has actually been able to use this time and lack of speed to his advantage. While he is bored stiff, after the intensive remediation, he intellectually understands what he needs to do, and knows it take him a little longer. He also strangely feels more like his peers and less "different". The trade off is, when he's home he gets to read his own things, at whatever level he wants and I have to do more "after schooling" in areas of his interest (history and engineering).

This has been and continues to be a huge struggle with no less that 5 people involved on any given day. I absolutely feel for you and wish I was further down the line to give you some better long term advice. For now, all I can say is the persistance of everyone working with him and acknowledging this "glitch" is continuing to pay off. I wish you the best of luck in this struggle!