That's the problem, though-- a single acceleration may well challenge in OTHER ways, but probably not academically. The issue is then a matter of exacerbation of the things that would give OTHERS pause in further acceleration, if that makes sense. So if "work is too easy" is at the root of the problem NOW, a single skip may not really fix it, and will (ironically) make it LOOK as though he's been placed well outside of his ability, rather than it simply being a matter of having made some things worse without correspondingly making the others better ENOUGH at the same time. If that makes sense.

So if you choose to pursue acceleration, you have to be pretty confident that your child will look like a stunning success story-- or you'll be worse off than before. ANY problems in the accelerated placement will probably be chalked up to "immaturity" or "inappropriately elevated expectations."

Also know that in K-5, it doesn't take that much to get a kid a few grade levels ahead. At least some of that can be attributed to work with a private tutor, yes? It does sound as though there has been a lot of additional work done with him over the past year. So purely on achievement, I'd discount that as a reason to accelerate (or not) in my own mind. The rate at which he seems to learn truly novel concepts would be a much stronger argument for me. Well, along with your test results, of course.

Also-- no worries on the intrinsic motivation front. I have one of those kids, too-- and you're right, independent study is a disaster with one of them. They simply don't "turn on" like that in a vacuum. Well, not for the stuff that others place in front of them, anyway.

What kinds of inputs do you get from others who know your child in semi-academic settings such as enrichment? Does he rise to the occasion when placed with older children in an area of interest? Or not?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.