What does he do when presented with more challenging material?

Faster pacing?

What would an acceleration get you that you don't have now?

Have you taken a look at the IAS?

While the not-listening-to-directions thing might be a problem in context, it isn't necessarily clear to me that (in a 5-7yo child) this is anything abnormal. It's a metacognitive skill set that is likely to be highly undeveloped in the age range, basically. Immaturity, if you will.

That's why I think you should probably be looking at tools to evaluate whether or not the child you have in front of you is a good candidate for acceleration or not.

I'd also point out that while you have teacher/tester input on your side, which is great, you may have a serious uphill battle for acceleration unless the achievement is grade-appropriate and then some. It sounds as though the achievement would support an acceleration, but that it might not produce the results you'd hope for-- in our experience, science and social studies are the areas where acceleration produces the least, and most ephemeral, improvements in fit. It also comes with costs-- increased demand on speed and executive skills. Is part-time or subject acceleration an option? Might look at that.

No helpful advice on the processing speed. Hopefully someone with more useful input will offer you some insights. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.