I just wanted to report back on the meeting last week. Overall it went pretty well. It was pretty informal with the teacher, assistant principal and a school psychologist (who has never met DS). It felt a little rushed but otherwise, not many complaints.

Both my husband and I were impressed with how well the teacher was able to describe the issues with my son. The AP even knows him some as she said she talks to him all the time at lunch about the books he is reading. She went on about how she just loves DS and he talks like a little adult. She said he often reads by himself at lunch and doesn't socialize with the other kids. I frankly don't see that much as a problem but you know, most people think it is smile He just really loves to read. He is quite extroverted and gets along with other kids but he does have some issues with social skills and reading social cues, which was one of their primary concerns - also impulsive, impatient, has his own agenda, doesn't self-regulate very well, etc.

So for the rest of the year they are going to try a social skills meeting at lunch time with the guidance counselor. The teacher also has some checklists to help him regulate his work to make sure he is completing things. I requested one of those disks to sit on for the sensory stuff. I guess the math has been addressed at the class level. We didn't really get into talking much about the academic part - the teacher did say that he self differentiates quite often in class (making powerpoints, reading adult level books, etc.) and encourages him when appropriate.

So we'll see how it goes but overall I've been impressed with the school and the district and how much they seem to care about gifted ed. This is our first year in the public system and I have been bracing myself to duke it out if necessary but so far, I haven't had to. But, he's only in second grade so lots of adventures ahead, I'm sure.

Any good recommendations for learning social skills? We try to explain things to him as they come up but he would probably enjoy reading something.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT