Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
Not sure why this article has stuck in my mind... but I was thinking about the teeth analogy with the dentist saying: “There is absolutely nothing that we can do to make the process move any fasterand, most of the time, the teeth that come in later, when they are good and ready, are so much stronger.”

Interestingly enough DS8's teeth are growing too fast, his adult teeth (teeth normally due in between ages 10 and 12) were being blocked by baby teeth that hadn't fallen out. Last couple of weeks they had to remove 6 baby teeth. An opinionated dental assitant said to not worry, an orthodontist had a more professional pov. If there hadn't been intervention to remove barriers to his naturally accelerated rate his teeth would've come in sideways (a couple were already) with a good chance of needing jaw surgery as a young adult.

There is nothing I could do to make my older son read before spring break of K...he got it when he got it....and conversely there was nothing I could do to slow down my younger son. When I would tell him this is enough for today he went off on his own. I couldn't get rid of all the text/signs/words he ran into in his daily life and when he demanded I let him read to me at night there was no stopping him. Sure I could have stopped visiting the library and supplying him with new books but the bazillion books we already owned were still there. I could have done dishes or folded laundry instead of listening but he would have read to me while I did chores.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary